Four Hills Farm is located in the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky. The Kathadin sheep we raise are hardy and thrifty. They have been refined through years of breeding to produce mild flavored, gourmet quality meat from a pasture based production system. Katahdin sheep are an American Heritage breed.
We are call our Katahdin lamb “New American Lamb” because we believe they are a unique and up-coming breed offering many favorable attributes to the American lamb market. These sheep thrive on a forage based diet, lamb outside on their own, and, most importantly, produce an excellent gourmet quality meat. They are a hair sheep breed which means they do not have to be sheared. They shed their winter coat naturally. This contributes to their mild flavor due to no lanolin production from wool. Katahdin sheep are smaller than traditional American-raised wool sheep.The chops and roasts will be smaller resulting in lower costs for each cut of meat.
We are the first sheep farm in the United States to earn a GAP 4 step-rating for our animal welfare practices.
Gourmet Quality New American Lamb is:
• Lean and tender with just the right amount of finish for great flavor and excellent cooking quality
• Raised on pasture for high levels of beneficial CLA and favorable Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acid ratios
• Produced on family farms in Kentucky
We produce our lambs with:
• A farming system is based on excellent pastures, rotational grazing and free range animal production
• All vegetarian feed
• No feedlots, antibiotics, added hormones or steroids used
• Product traceability and quality production assurance systems in place
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: July 2017
Shepherd Job Description This is a fulltime paid position for an experienced person for work at farms in Danville and Salvisa, KY.
The Farm Shepherd would be responsible for sheep care and maintenance, with the primary focus on sheep husbandry.
Key responsibilities include:
- Profitable sheep production including feeding and care of breeding stock and feeder lambs
- Sheep flock health maintenance, which includes accurate record keeping of breeding, lambing, and healthcare treatments.
- Practice rotational grazing and high quality forage production
- Maintenance of farm buildings and equipment
- Construction of fences and farm facilities as needed
- Implement a lambing program that maintains ewe productivity and supplies market ready lambs throughout the year.
- Maximize the production and utilization of forages with rotational grazing, fall stockpiling and other techniques in order it minimize the need to purchase feed.
- Maintain and preserve farm facilities in good working order
- Implement a year round grazing system for the ewe flock
- Produce profitable market lambs that fit the quality specifications and required for “New American Lamb.”
Requirements: 1. Honesty and a good work ethic 2. A passion for farming, sheep and dogs.3. Experience with a commercial flock 4. Ability to perform all farm activities with attention to doing quality work that is effective and professional. 5. Maintain a valid state driver’s license and good driving record
Pay & Benefits: Commensurate with experience
Send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org