from overthefirecooking.com, Nov. 12, 2017, Derek Wolf
Hanging Lamb Leg Ingredients
- 1 whole lamb leg
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 tbsp of paprika
- 4 tbsp of cumin
- Salt & pepper
- 4 cups of water
- 6 oz of red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bunch of thyme
- Salt & pepper
- Using hardwoods (oak, hickory, cherry, apple, etc…), build a campfire and allow to breakdown for 30 minutes before cooking.
- While fire is burning down, season lamb leg with olive oil first, then add paprika, cumin, salt & pepper to taste. Make sure to cover lamb leg thoroughly with seasoning.
- In a pot, make brine by boiling water. Once boiled, add all other brine ingredients (listed above) and let simmer for 15 minutes. Pour brine into a bowl or squirt bottle to be used while the lamb leg is cooking.
- When fire is broken down, place tri-pod or other hanging device over top. Create a circle with the logs by moving everything out of the center of the fire to the edges. This will allow the heat to cook the lamb leg from all directions.
- Hang lamb leg & let cook for 3.5-4 hours or until the internal temperature is around 135F for a medium-rare (125F = Rare & 145F = Medium-Well Done). Continue to maintain heat for the fire at a medium to high intensity throughout the cook. Make sure to spray lamb leg with brine ever 30 minutes to maintain seasoning & prevent burning.
- Once the lamb leg is cooked to your liking, pull off the fire and let rest for 3 minutes. The lamb will have various cook temperatures with it becoming more rare near the bone. Serve immediately after resting!
- Enjoy the delicious lamb leg!
“Cooking with Lamb” with Four Hills Farm and guests!
Whole Foods writer Molly Seigler blogs regularly about lamb at http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/all-about-lamb. For recipes, tips about selecting lamb, and cooking possibilities, read this blog.
We add recipes that we love and ask chefs to guest host a recipe.
Here is what Tim Farmer made with our lamb merguez sausage. The Cooking Show, Tim Farmer’s Country Kitchen, aired on CKYT on October 19, is on youtube now.https://www.facebook.com/TimFarmersCountryKitchen